Are you concerned about your oral and teeth health? Thus, wanting to know about how to keep teeth protected from tartar? You don’t need to be worried as we will guide you thoroughly about what tartar is and how you can keep your teeth in a healthy state with tartar removal home remedies if the case is not too severe.
Do you know what tartar is? Tartar is also known as calculus. It is an accumulation of your saliva and toxins that gets harden and sticks to your teeth. Tartar coats the exterior of your teeth and invades below the germline.
How does tartar feel?
Are you worried about how to know whether your teeth are covered with tartar or not? Well, you can quickly get to know it. Tartar feels like a crusty blanket on the teeth.
Why does tartar buildup happen?
Tartar usually causes by consuming different types of foods and drinks that are high in carbs and sugars. These foods help tartar buildup on your teeth as the sugar and other components stick around, turning them into tartar.
Moreover, smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco also supports tartar buildup.
Tartar often settles behind and between your teeth. Usually, the tartar appears as a brown or yellow color. The tartar is also a significant reason why most people have yellow teeth. Tartar and plaque can cause tremendous damage to your dental and oral health.
However, you might be wondering what problems tartar buildup can cause. Right? Well, tartar and plaque cause:
- Bad breathe
- Damages enamel; it is a hard outer layer of your teeth. Damaged enamel could cause tooth sensitivity, cavities, and, in some cases, tooth loss.
- Gum disease
How to stop plaque from turning into tartar?
Do you know that plaque can harden and turn into tartar in just a few hours? This is why it is essential not to let the plaque stay on your teeth for too long. You can easily remove it by following some of the instructions.
- Brush your teeth twice a day, at least for straight two minutes
- Try to use a soft-bristled toothbrush instead of a hard one
- Brush your teeth properly, try to clean your gums and teeth spaces all the way.
- Be gentle while brushing your teeth. You don’t have to go too hard on them. Use short strokes to clean them properly.
- Use a toothpaste that contains an element called fluoride.
- Start using floss, and make sure you floss at least once a day.
Using these small tips and tricks on removing plaque and stopping it from turning into tartar helps a lot. Once the plaque turns into tartar, then that hardened substance cannot be removed with brushing or any other tips. The only way to remove that harden substance is by consulting a dentist, which will scrap all of that hardened substance from your teeth.
How does a dentist remove tartar from your teeth?
Dentists use a hand-held metal scaler, which helps in scraping away the tartar from your teeth. This device has a hook-like end that scraps the tartar. However, if you have an excessive amount of tartar buildup on your teeth and gums, then your dentist or dental hygienist might recommend you a deep cleaning that includes scaling and root planning.
Dentists clean the tartar and plaque all the way from above your teeth to below your gums. Also, the roots are smoothened, which supports the reattachment of the gums to the tooth. In some exceptional case, a dentist or dental hygienist might use a laser to kill the bacterias present deep in your gum pocket in some cases.
How often should you get the tartar removed?
You might not know, but dental visits are entirely dependent on your dental and oral health. However, consulting a dentist or getting a checkup of your oral health every six months is essential for a healthy mouth.
Also, if you smoke cigarettes or chew tobacco, you might need dental appointments more often for cleaning to prevent the tartar from forming. In these cases, you might be at high risk of gum disease.
Other people who need tartar teeth cleaning more often:
- As you might know, your saliva helps in washing away your food particles. If you have a dry mouth due to medications or any other reason, you assuredly need teeth cleaning more often.
- People who can’t take care of their teeth by brushing them daily need tartar teeth cleaning more often.
- Completing a dental hygiene routine is necessary to keep your oral health maintained. However, if you can’t keep up with the dental hygiene routine, you should consider getting dental appointments for tartar cleaning more often.
How tartar impacts your gums?
The tartar produces irritation and inflammation that could lead you to gum disease. Early gum disease is known as gingivitis. Here are some of the symptoms that will help you identify whether you have gum disease or not
- Extra swollen red gums
- Bleeding from gums when you floss or brush
- Tenderness in gums
However, the first stage of gum disease is still curable, but once it reaches the after steps known as periodontitis, there is no going back. Here are some of the symptoms of periodontitis.
- Pain in gums while chewing
- Teeth loss
- Separation of gums from teeth
It is essential to seek dental care if you notice any of these symptoms, as you might not know, but the bacteria that cause periodontitis can reach your bloodstream, which could cause damage to your heart and lungs.
However, the best idea is to avoid all of these symptoms and diseases by brushing, flossing, and rinsing your teeth daily and follow a proper dental care routine to help keep your gums and teeth protected.
Where to get the tartar teeth cleaning done?
Are you noticing any of mentioned above symptoms, thus want immediate dental care? Book an appointment at Zia dental care right away. We have the best dentist in Karachi, Dr. Aimen Zia, available at your service.
Our pricing brackets are light on your pocket; meanwhile, our services are top-notch. Book an appointment now and let our dentist take care of your oral health in the best possible manner.